On Jan 30, 2009, at 05:18 AM, Thomas Sawyer wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
>> Grangers Darkfish generator has become the default output format
>> for
>> RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite
>> lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:
>>
>> http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/
>>
>> rdoc_chm and rdoc_html_templates have been split off from RDoc and
>> released separately as unmaintained software. I dont plan to make
>> any
>> future changes or updates to rdoc_html_templates (which are for the
>> old HTML generator) ever, but somebody may be interested in taking
>> over maintainership of the rdoc_chm generator.
>>

> (Sigh. the Google Group mirror is acting up again, so i will be
> replying
> to this for the third time.)
>
> My concern is for the loss of the sidebars. While I know frames are  > out
> of fashion, having a sidebar was very convenient. Where as scrolling  > to
> the bottom of a page is not.

I'm confused, the default RDoc template never had a sidebar.  If you
don't want to scroll so far down the class list, use the search at the  top.

>> rdoc will automatically detect rdoc_html_templates and rdoc_chm, so
>> you only need to install them to make them usable via command-line
>> options.
>
> Also, I think it would be nice if RDoc offered a few template options,
> varying up the layout, suitable to variant preferences and/or project
> needs, eg. small projects versus large ones.

Go for it!  RDoc will now automatically load other gems if they have
an rdoc/discover.rb.  Load your extra template or what-have-you from
there and it'll be used automatically by RDoc.

> Finally, what is the state of creating custom templates? Are we using
> rhtml now? Is their a tutorial anywhere on the topic?

I'm not sure how easy that is to add to Darkfish, but you're welcome
to try.  I decided to release RDoc in its current state because it was  good enough.  It's easy to add templates to the old HTML generator,