Thanks Peter and Robert for all your insights about his subject. This
whole thing came to light when I took one of our web based applications
which is a Terminal management System and was going to port it to
Solaris system which happen to be a RISC platform. It was originally
written on a Ubuntu platform using an intel CPU and was going to be
ported to Red Hat Linux Enterprise on a Dell Blade system. Then
management changed and wanted it on Solaris. Long story there. When we
finally got it running it was discovered it took 5 seconds to load a
simple login page! It is a Ruby on Rails application and I found it was
during a simple request to a controller to build a very simple page. The
process used arrays to do "certain" things during the process of
building the page. Hence, my simple ruby program to test. I simply cant
see any reason to re-architect the application so it will run on a RISC
platform. So in the end I am going to push for the original plan and put
this on a blade system of some type. Thanks again and yeah I am old
enough to remember those 50 floppies of Slackware except I was a
Yggdrasil fan :)