Dan No wrote:
> So painfully basic, but I'm just starting Ruby and am coming to it from
> C/C++/Java, etc. and some of the syntax is unnatural to me, and yes,
> I've tried Google. I have an array of things and I want to access the
> first 10...how do I do that?
>
> for thing in things #(how do I set the beginning and end of the loop?)
> #do something
> end

Usually collections define an each method. Each call into the block gets
the next element in the collection. You don't have to worry about the
beginning and end of the loop. The each method and its friends are
considered the most idiomatic.

ary.each {|element| ...}

Or if you just want the equivalent of a C for loop, use upto. The block
argument is the current count, starting with 'start':

start.upto(finish) {|n| ...}

Also there's step, which lets you use an increment other than 1:

start.step(finish, incr) {|n| ...}

It really depends on what you want to do.

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/