ge of st says:

> |RETURN VALUE
> |
> |       ENOMEM        The byte count in read() is smaller than the next  physi-
> |                     cal block on the tape. (Before 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-test6 the
> |                     extra bytes have been silently ignored.)
>
> I didn't know that.  In that case, you have to pre-allocate reading
> buffer (string) and specify it to read method.

Interesting.
Perhaps somebody with brighter eyes can help me out with this?
[how to?]

a = File.open '/dev/nst2'
>> b = 'a'*129000
>> a.read b
TypeError: can't convert String into Integer
>> a.read 65000
Errno::ENOMEM: Cannot allocate memory - /dev/nst2

Also thinking out loud I wonder why java has 64kB blocks and ruby 4k? is
64 k any other benefit?

Thanks!
-=r