Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> writes:

> The book is written in LaTeX using our own style sheets. We weren't
> originally planning on releasing it under an OpenContent license: that
> would probably have changed our decision.
>
> We convert it to HTML using a fairly convoluted path. We originally
> tried LaTeX2html, but it didn't handle some of the constructs we used,
> and changing it to turned in to a wasted week. In the end, I wrote
> Ruby script that did the conversion from LaTeX to XML. We then have a
> combination of Ruby and XSLT that converts this into HTML.

Would you write a new book in XML or in LaTeX? Did you consider DocBook?

I've beed using LaTeX for DataVision (now a non-Ruby project, which is why
I haven't touted it in this group). I use DocBook for NQXML, but I hate
writing in XML; it's harder for me to concentrate on the content when I'm
writing.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm / io.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day.  Teach a man to fish, you've lost