> So aside from the mechanics of Ruby syntax, and actual time spent
> attempting this or that implementation of some project, is there some
> attitude or philosophy or perspective that might enable me to quickly
> grasp the elegance behind "the Ruby way?"

hello
I think one way is to read existing code. go to the Ruby application archiv
and try to understand some code. for example if you do some programming
with databases try to understand the inner workings of Ruby/DBI.

I also recommend reading the new book "The Ruby Way" which has a lot
of recipes of how to do things "the ruby way". really a great book

another migth also be a good idea also I have not yet done such a project.
take an existing example written in another language (like Perl) and try to
translate it into Ruby. and try to use Ruby constructs if possible and
sensible.

markus