>> - Do you habitually dup() your string ?
> I try to, and I try to get rid of all references to the original
> string as soon as possible.
> This is because incremental GC works so well nowadays and allows for
> some clean code.
> Freezing a string seems like a good idea sometimes, but if that means
> holding on to the object longer than needed this might not be such a
> good idea after all.
>
> R.

Interesting point. So freezing a string prevents collection as long as
there are referers (obvious), but duping it helps release the original
one, but you still have a new string in memory. So net you still are
taking the same memory.

Is there a writeup on Ruby GC collection, my knowledge of GC is java
based, and it is 5 years old (based on the Inside the VM book and
various other articles on sun.com). Is ruby's GC "generational" ? In
which iirc, an older object would have moved to an older generation and
be less likely to be collected.

Any links to ruby's GC would be appreciated.