The discussion seems to have died, I think more because the proposed
solutions (however good) involved drastic changes rather than because
the issue itself died.

So let me point out something that involves no change at all in the
setup and still allows people to select the traffic.  (BTW this had
already been half-proposed, so nothing really new, just highlighting.)

By agreeing on a set of tags like [XML], [GUI], [CODE] and the already
in use [ANN], we keep all the traffic on one group/list, and allow
people not interested in e.g. GUI discussions to use the `kill'
feature of their newsreader on messages with [GUI] in the subject,
while to follow just specific discussions, messages with no tag in the
subject can be killed.

This is probably the simples setup and does not affect matz's or
Dave's time.  What do you think?

Massimiliano