On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Stefan Lang
<perfectly.normal.hacker / gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/18 Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com>:
>> I'm getting very few requests for features to add to Prawn that exist
>> in PDF::Writer but not in Prawn.
>> Because it directly effects each and every user, I need to know what
>> this means.  Please remember that I intend to *END ALL SUPPORT FOR
>> PDF::WRITER* after Prawn becomes PDF::Document, so long as there is a
>> sufficient mandate from the community.
>
> Why rename it? Prawn is a nice name, while PDF::Document seems to
> imply that there are other closely related PDF::* modules.

There are :)

We've got PDF::Inspector and PDF::Reader.  Both which are tentatively
planned to become part of the 'pdf' project.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/pdf

gem install pdf would get you all of them.
Note that I'll likely turn Prawn into PDF::Document by something
simple like this in the pdf gem:

module PDF; end
Prawn = PDF;
require "prawn"

Or something silly like that, at first. (Just off the top of my head,
I'm not sure the above actually works)

It may be possible to just keep Prawn as Prawn, but we'll see how it goes.

>> = Are you happy with Prawn as it is and have already migrated your new
>> projects to it?
>>
>> If so, you have your right to remain silent.  But it'd be re-assuring
>> to hear from you to know that you're satisfied.
>
> I've written a prototype with Prawn and it was a pleasurable
> experience. Nice API!

Awesome.

>> = Are there features you need that have not yet been implemented in
>> Prawn?
>
> Being able to put more complex objects than just text into table
> cells would be cool, as well as more options for table borders.
> (I've used 0.3.0 so maybe this request is already obsolete.)

The former request is in high demand.  I've been hoping for someone
else to nail it because I've suggested on the Prawn list how I'd like
to see it implemented and I feel it's a straightforward patch.  So
far, no one has bit.   I will implement this if no one does before
1.0, most likely.

The latter, we've got some things that are new, others not advertised.
 Before I do more with the table stuff, I need to re-organize it a
bit, but it's coming.  I usually ask for folks to file tickets for
stuff like this, but those two issues are burned into my brain well
enough and rest on me getting some stuff done before I can tackle them
anyway, so don't worry about it.

Of course, patches are welcome for both. :)

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
 Non-tech stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com