David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I've posted an update to my recent "10 things to be aware of" post
> about the Ruby 1.8 to 1.9 transition:

Thanks. I just caught this in your article:

>Also, kind of along the same lines, the ?-notation now gives a character rather >than a code. In 1.8:

>  >> ?a
>  => 97
>and in 1.9:

>  >> ?a
>  => "a"

Recently, I had asked someeone on this forum to confirm that "?" still
works like before, since I use it a lot to check keystrokes in my app,
and I hope to keep the rework to a minimum when porting to 1.9. He
checked out and confirmed it _does_ return a Fixnum in 1.9.

(i.e, ?\C-a or ?\M-a etc.)

So apparently that was wrong information.

One piece of feedback:

David, when you say "In 1.8, X == 1  and now in 1.9, X == 2 " it would
help us if you would say what we should now do to get the earlier
result.

Thanks,
Sent.

e.g.
When I check keystrokes, I do:

case ch

when ?\C-a:
  do this
when ?\C-b:
  do that
end

Now do I hardcode the ascii values ? Or do a convert back to Fixnum
(ord(), iirc). ?\C-a.ord().

Thx.