Michael Letterle wrote:
> Charles,
>
> I like how you laid out your project and whatnot.  My "dream" is to make
> zliby more then just a zlib compression library, but a more general
> compression library and command line tool.  Your compression code seems
> to be more in the same style as my decompression implementation, any
> qualms against me incorporating some of your stuff?
>
> I also added Park to the zliby ruby-forge project, if you'd like I can
> add you as well, or add you as a collaborator on the zliby github
> project.

Hi Michael,

Sure feel free to add me on the rubyforge/github, or just copy the
relevant files back in if you prefer. There's a few small fixes needed
to the deflate code, but after that it might be a good candidate for
inclusion.

The idea of a general ruby compression library is nice. With rubyzip,
and a pure ruby zlib, all thats probably missing is bzip2, and bwt is
fairly straight forward (I believe I saw a python implementation in
around 100 lines).

I'm really hoping some of that javascript vm goodness will find its way
to ruby though (or psyco equivalent or whatever), because without it,
pure ruby compression (or any algorithmic code) remains unsuitable for
general purpose use.