unknown wrote:
> Hello, I am from the USA and I graduated last year with a BS. I've
> been trying to find a job doing HTML and CSS or Flash, but to no
> avail. I know finding a job will be hard, but I want to give myself
> the best chance of success.

Ryan,

I feel for you, I had a similar situation in '93 during a recession.  I
had a Mech Eng degree and no chance in h*ll of getting a job as everyone
was laying off. I just bit the bullet, dropped mechanical and agreed to
write assembly for RISC chips which was incredibly boring but at least
it was a job.  At that time it was an easier market to break into and I
had to stick with it for 2-3 years before I branched into C++ (for about
10 years), java, and then finally Ruby..

I have interviewed many candidates and if they have ever contributed to
open source projects then I am pretty confident about getting them on
board.  Most companies just want a self reliant adaptable go-getter that
works well within teams and if you worked on open source then you
already have everything they want.

hth and keep your head up as it was really easy to get discouraged..

Another option is to wait out the recession while doing your masters..
No matter what they tell you, it won't hurt your possibility of landing
a gig.

Ohh.. check your local job listings to see the hot languages in your
area but safer still is to learn the languages that you enjoy as that
aspect will come across in your interviews..

join linkedin.. very good service..

keep your resume brief and mention the buzzwords to get through the HR
round.

ilan