On Dec 15 2008, 9:32    򮮮
> Hi,
>
> There's a project out there called "zliby" [1] which partially
> implements the zlib library. Unfortunately, only the Zlib::GzipReader
> class has been implemented so far. I'd like to have a pure Ruby
> implementation of the Zlib::GzipWriter class.
>
> I've put in a feature request [2] but I'd like to see it expedited. In
> order to expedite this, I'm offering $100 to anyone who can implement
> it. In order to qualify for the bounty, your Zlib::GzipWriter class
> must meet the following criteria:
>
> * It must be pure Ruby. No extensions. No FFI.
> * It must have tests (and pass them)
> * It must match the current Zlib::GzipWriter interface
> * It must be cross platform
> * It must be able to generate a proper gem file from a gemspec (the
> acid test)
> * It must be contributed back to the zliby project
> * It must be done within 60 days of this post

<snip>

And the winner is...Park Heesob! We actually had two competitors for
the bounty (much to my surprise), and it was very close (again, to my
surprise), but in the end Park's code passed an acid test that
Charles' code did not.[1]

So, congratulations to Park Heesob for not only creating a
Zlib::GzipWriter implementation, but for also creating a pure Ruby
version of the underlying zlib 1.2.3 library!

WOOHOO!

Regards,

Dan

[1] However, I hate to see Charles go unrewarded for his wonderful
efforts, so any matchers are free to distribute their bounties as they
see fit.