Matt Harrison wrote:

> This sounds great, but I've read in several places (sorry can't find
> references) that you should create a new migration to make changes to an
> existing table.

If you have not yet deployed a migration to your production site, you can go
back into it and tweak it. This is still within the inner TDD cycle, because
your tests will cover the new versions of the tables.

> I've tried before to modify an existing migration but unless I totally
> wipe the DB, it doesn't take notice, as the schema version isn't
> incremented.

Right - rake db:reset, and rake db:migrate:reset.

Tweaking existing migrations before deploying them (such as adding each field in
a new table, as you TDD it) is a convenience that prevents your migrate folder
from filling up with many trivial variations.

--
   Phlip