On Friday 09 January 2009 23:27:46 Raphael Clancy wrote:
> Thanks for the quick replies (and the cool link!). I thought this might
> be a hold over from the "good old days". ;)
>
> I wonder if there is any impetus to move beyond this, since I see that
> sticking to the IEEE might cause other problems as well. (Warning,
> grumpy blog ahead)
>
> http://infinitesecond.blogspot.com/2008/03/floating-point-arithmetic-bug-re
>ports.html
>
> On the other hand, the effort of re-doing the whole math framework might
> not be worth the return...

Programming languages generally 'sticks' to IEEE 754 simply because that's
what the hardware can do. You take the numbers and operator, pass it to the
CPU (or more precise to CPU's math coprocessor) and you'll get output number
(or NaN,+Inf, etc.). Doing floating point in software is possible if you really
want to (and there are scientific libraries for precise real number
calculations that do that), but it is not something you would *like* to do as
common case, performance-wise.

Jan