Larz wrote:

> On Jan 7, 1:52pm, Tim Greer <t... / burlyhost.com> wrote:
>> Larz wrote:
>> > Perl is old and provided much of the
>> > inspiration for Ruby.

>> going to be around and popular (and well used), as is Perl. Perl
>> provided the inspiration for PHP (being embedding Perl code in a web
>> page, is how PHP came about). It is really hit and miss, some jobs
>> might want you to know Ruby, or RoR, or C, or C++, or Java, or Perl,
>> or VB, or Python, or something completely different. I'm not saying
>> you're suggesting "Perl is old, so it's not popular" or something,
>> but I've seen people suggest that, which isn't the case.
>> --
>
>   There are some perl modules around that maybe do some things ruby
> doesn't do, but Ruby is a dynamic language like Perl. C, C++ are
> compiled and usefull for embedded dev and many other things ..
>
>  There's always many jobs in older technology for a long time until it
> fades away eventually the way of fortran etc. The efficiency factor
> may be unsatisfactory ..

At this point, most language debates come down to opinion and
assumption.  I don't believe that Perl is an old language that's going
to fade away, while ruby becomes more popular.  But, that's just my own
view/opinion.  I wasn't saying it because it's more mature and has some
existing modules that maybe don't exist for Ruby or anything.  I might
be wrong about how in demand Perl will or will not be, just like my
opinion abut ruby and other languages.  Neither opinion will make it
more or less likely, so we'll all have to see.  Just remember, there
are plenty of new jobs in Perl, too (not just older code people are
hired to maintain).
and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.