I should also say that basicaly Rails makes it easier to hook in
complex database type of hooks in a well organized programmatic way as
well as complex URL organization. I said what I did previously because
I have worked with PHP developers who either where very resistant to
Rails or just followed managements technology decisions.

 Basically the technologies that compete with Rails are things like
PHP, Java, and maybe Python. Perl is old and provided much of the
inspiration for Ruby. Flash is a different technology that can be tied
into Rails or any of these others, Javascript is a unique browser
language that also works with any of these. Rails can make certain
javascript actions much easier to do. PHP is probably easier to learn
than rails in some ways, but I would say complex web sites in PHP
evolve into what you can call spaghetti code that becomes harder to
manage and I consider PHP to be sort of a hack language, but all in
all it's not that bad. If you find reading about Rails interesting,
maybe go with that as interesting work can be less stressful.