What was your BS in ? Are you a CS major ?

 I have a BS in Comp Sci. I did C++ for many years, and was preparing
to go into Java certification until I found out about Ruby. If you are
a programmer, I suggest checking out the Java certification books
which if that doesn't make you sick to your stomach, I don't know what
will, but Java has been the most popular language though I don't know
how long that can last and it may be one of those strange things in
life. I have never learned languages through memorization and testing
which was a major turn off for me.

 If you web interest is more front end look and feel stuff, I am not
convinced that you will fall in love with Ruby, but I couldn't say
either way. It is just as good or better than other technologies, but
for me it's the language itself.