In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0201242324220.27467-100000 / bartok>,
Mathieu Bouchard  <matju / sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Phil Tomson wrote:
>> Hmmm.... That might be good. I could have each client machine generate a
>> part of the set.  But then I'd have to display the fractal somehow - not
>> sure I want the demo program to get that complex, but it might be worth
>> a try.
>
>the picture can be generated in PPM format and saved to a file. It is
>trivial to write a generator for that kind of file:
>
>f = IO.popen "xv -","w"
>f.puts "P6", "256 256", "255"
>(0...256).each {|y|
>  (0...256).each {|x|
>    f.printf("%c%c%c",x&y,x^y,x|y) }}
>
>this generates a munch pattern if you have the 'xv' program installed. you
>may try other (more familiar) formulae...

Hey, that's pretty cool!  I had to install xv, though.  xv isn't too
popular anymore (probably due to it's licensing) - does would this work
with the gimp as well?  According to the title on the xv window it's a PNG
- what's a PPM?

Phil