>> I'd imagine that most Ruby constructs have their Python equivalent.
>
> Why introduce Python, when on many platforms, you have the ability to
> use inline C, C++ or assembler? IIRC it works on Cygwin, all *Nix
> platforms and probably MacOS X as well.

Because I don't want to rewrite my bottlenecks to C--I want to leave
them as ruby and have them "automagically translated"

Main advantage: Python and Ruby are pretty similar, so a translator
shouldn't be as hard to write as, say, a ruby to c JIT translator [psyco
is a Python->bytecode JIT translator, so the work has been done there].

Obviously a translator to C would be the best, I just think it would be
pretty  hard, and if one could translate to Python, a lot of the
optimization exists. A fit of python envy, you could call it.
Thoughts?
-=r