No arguments there.  For the vast majority of cases, XSLT would be
better off as better-looking non-XML source.  My only guess as to why
they wrote XSLT with XML syntax is because maybe they foresaw massive
automated document templating systems?  Where the XSLT itself was
generated on-the-fly from fragments based on some conditions.  In that
case its syntax would definately help, but for the vast majority of
situations, it's just a pain.

--
Alexander Schofield
email: theschof / cs.com