Tom,

   Yes, it is frustating, to make it a little bit simple install the
package: ruby-full which should give you everything that is ruby
related. But you will still need to install build-essential to be able
to compile native dependencies if you require them.

   And yes, the differences between the Ruby community and the Debian
packagers always arise, and there are good points at both side about
how to do the things.

--
Aný√al Rojas
http://hasmanydevelopers.com