Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Simon Chiang <simon.a.chiang / gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  o one
>>  |-o two (fork of 1)
>>  | |
>>  `---o three (fork of 2)
>>    | |
>>    | | o four
>>    | | |
>>    | `-`-o five (merge of 3,4)
>>    |     |
>>    `-----`-o six (merge of 2,5)
>>
>> The whole thing is ordered in the sense that n-1 logically occurs
>> before n.  Kinda reminiscent of git, but I'm using this as a kind of
>> audit of how values progress though an analysis.
>>

> Except for the ordering, it kind of sounds like a digraph.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digraph_%28mathematics%29
>
> -greg

I believe a directed graph could be a fair match, but somehow it misses
the essence of it, which is that any node can connect to any other, and
more importantly that what it's connecting to can be a GROUP of nodes
rather than just one. This sort of thing is critical to the function of
brains.

More than that (if one wishes to sweeten the pot significantly) the
nature of the relationship is highly variable as well. In my model, it
can be anything -  a quality, a number (on any sort of scaling), a
concept. This model has the potential for storing about anything.

I plan to use it for storing bibleographical references, Internet links.
databases of concepts, etc.

The structure is NOT inherent, but rather is emergent, as the database
is built. One can certainly input stuff according to a pre-conceived
form, and I plan on doing this some of the time, but that's just a
variation on the basic design.

It took me a few days of idle thought to realize the power of this
thing. It's far beyond relational database thinking, which, after all,
has constraints built in for good reason. But they come at a price.
And...brains don't work that way.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc / tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)