> Hi Roger,
> thanks for your respond.
> I glanced at gmp again, and found no sin, cos, exp, ... implemented
> there.
> Did I miss something?
R definitely looks like a cool library.

MPFR?  I actually really know nothing about it, I just ran into their
page one day and thought it looked interesting :)

> You hold a strong oppinion concerning name R and so do I.
> In short,
> classes express concepts (Stroustrup),
> deep concepts are expressed by classes with short names (Ulrich).
> For a mathematically inclined programmer there is nothing more
> fundamental than the basic number types.
> This is only to explain that the material on my website
> www.ulrichmutze.de
> still uses the name R.
> If the matter should finds its way into a broader discussion, I would be
> open
> for accepting majority wishes.

You might be able to get away with creating a gem first then suggesting
it be merged into core.  Or you could ping ruby-core and see if they
have feedback on incorporating it already.

Other naming convention possibilities that come to mind:
"Real"
"BigFloat"
"BigDecimal2"
Good luck!