Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. This has given me a lot of
material to get going on (and my boss is now getting irate because I'm
spending too much time researching options and not enough time actually
coding :P).

But I've done some research on embedding ruby interpreters (via ruby.h),
and while it seems like this task should be almost trivially easy, I
can't seem to find a copy of the actual embedded interpreter library and
headers. I did a search on my computer (a Mac) for ruby.h, and it turned
up some platform-specific ruby embedding stuff for making OSX apps, but
I'm interested in a more generic solution.

Any thoughts?