On Dec 16, 7:09=A0am, Sebastian Hungerecker <sep... / googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
> > excuse me...
>
> > header.tr('*','X')
>
> > Better? :)
>
> No, because you just changed the problem. The specified input was the who=
le
> string, not only the part of the string that should change. And the desir=
ed
> output was that whole string with the part that should be changed, change=
> and the rest as-is.
> You could of course do
> text.sub(/X-Level: \*+/) {|header| header.tr("*","X") }
> but that's not neccessarily simpler than the already offered solutions.

You are correct, of course. And that's what I was trying to imply,
that it was only solving one piece of the problem. I guess I should
have explained it, rather than be glib with my response. If the header
was easily (or already) isolated, it would be a simple solution. But
that information was not given by the OP.