Roger Pack wrote:
>> this note deals with arbitrary precision arithmetics and Ruby
>> module BigMath and Ruby class BigDecimal.
>
> Sounds very cool :)
> Some random feedbacks:
>
>> as its base class. The name which I propose for this class is
>>  R (which is standard mathematical usage),
>> other names that I considered were
>>  Real, BigReal, BigR.
>
> Anything except just "R" -- this could stand for anything--"random"
> "radical" "the R statistics library"...
>

>> R allows to write
>>  diff = x.sin**2 + x.cos**2 - 1
>> which is very small20for, say,
>>  x = R.new("1.23456789E123")
>

>> Algorithms for these mathematical functions which are suitable for
>> arbitrary precision are implemented in BigMath and BigDecimal based on
>> everywhere convergent power series expansions. Although such expansions
>
> Have you glanced at lib gmp?
>
> Take care.
> -=R

Hi Roger,
thanks for your respond.
I glanced at gmp again, and found no sin, cos, exp, ... implemented
there.
Did I miss something?
You hold a strong oppinion concerning name R and so do I.
In short,
classes express concepts (Stroustrup),
deep concepts are expressed by classes with short names (Ulrich).
For a mathematically inclined programmer there is nothing more
fundamental than the basic number types.
This is only to explain that the material on my website
www.ulrichmutze.de
still uses the name R.
If the matter should finds its way into a broader discussion, I would be
open
for accepting majority wishes.
Thanks again
Ulrich