On Dec 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Brian Candler wrote:

> I would have thought that a US-ASCII regexp should be able to match
> ISO-8859-1 data, and perhaps vice versa, but it seems not.

It does:

$ ruby_dev -e 'p "rum.encode("ISO-8859-1") =~ /foo/'
nil
$ ruby_dev -e 'p "rumfoo".encode("ISO-8859-1") =~ /foo/'
7

> Maybe what's really needed is a sort of "anti-/u" option which means  my
> regexp literals are meant to match byte-at-a-time, not
> character-at-a-time"

That's what BINARY means.

> Anyway, I'm afraid all this increases my inclination to stick with
> ruby
> 1.8.6 :-(

Perhaps it's a bit early to make this judgement since you've just
started learning about the new system?

There's a lot going on here, so it's a lot to take in.  In places, the  ehavior is a little complex.  However, the core team has put a lot of  ffort into making the system easier to use.  It's getting there.

Also, even in it's current draft form, the Pickaxe answers every
question you've thrown at both mailing lists.  Thus it should be a big  elp when you decide the time is right to pick it up.

James Edward Gray II