My fault guys sorry!!!
I switched back to rich formating by inadvertence. That was a known
issue with gmail IIRC.

Here it goes again:
This was a nice quiz, maybe not too challenging, but as Tom put it
correctly the different codes can easily get mangled up. I have found
a solution that seems to handle the few testcases well, we will see if
it pleases ;).
My additional challenge was to make my solution work with HighLine,
Facets and Term::Ansicolor, and that is what I did :).

The solution can be found here too: http://pastie.org/333319

And to test all libraries simply type

 > for i in term/ansicolor facets/ansicode highline; do ruby1.9
rd-185-sol.rb -f $i; done

 > ruby1.9 rd-185-sol.rb

runs, transparently, with a random library of all registered

HYLI