The Rhodes framework is an open source Ruby-based platform for
building locally executing, device-optimized mobile applications. It
is similar in concept to MVC frameworks such as Rails, Merb and
Camping but much lighter weight (and hence executable on a mobile
device) than any of these. Along the way of course we had to implement
Ruby for these device operating systems (iPhone, Windows Mobile and
RIM).

In general developer productivity is much higher in Rhodes than
writing to diverse native device operating systems and APIs since most
of your UI customization can be done in HTML templates (ERB files).
Rhodes also provides access to native device capabilities such as GPS
and PIM data via an extended set of tags (e.g. <geolocation/>).

These applications are also optimized for interacting with hosted
enterprise app (SaaS) backends . That is it allows mobile applications
to work offline with synced local data by embedding a client for
RhoSync. The Rhodes source tree contains sample apps for SugarCRM and
Siebel Field Service and we will be providing a mobile interface to
Basecamp soon as well.

Rhodes is initially available for iPhone, Windows Mobile and Research
in Motion (Blackberry) smartphones. Support for Symbian and Android
devices is under development.