Salutations and hi.

I only slide in for a moment to bring word of a very ordinary and
plausible new development, akin to a routine change of bus drivers,
or the moving of a toothpaste basket back into the hall closet. It's
just something to be aware of.

Yes, it's SHOES 2 (or "RAISINS" when in mixed company.)

  <http://shoooes.net/about/raisins/>

This marks a major release of Shoes, the colorful application kit
built with equal parts C (stands for fast) and Ruby (which stands
for great.)

While the above link will give you the release notes, here's
the rest of it:

  * http://shoooes.net/about
    (an explanation in the simplest terms)
  * http://shoooes.net/tutorial
    (a walkthrough pairing code with screenshots)
  * http://hackety.org/press
    (the illustrated manual "nobody knows shoes")
  * http://github.com/why/shoes/wikis
    (the wiki, with instructions for joining the mailing list)

With the help of dozens of fine, upstanding young minds who've
fought bravely for each little drop of Shoes-brand foot coloring,
I am pleased to present you with these Raisins, dressed in their
traditional garb of acorn caps and abalone bracelets, on a bed of
lettuce with pepperjack cheese and a pineapple upside-down smoothie,
all served on a sun-warped checkerboard with a small glass of
eagle's breath.

Bottom line, it's a mess. And it smells. Of wildly vivid Pantone
colors.

_why