On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Vito Fontaine <vito.matro / spainmail.com> wrote:

> Why isn't there a Ruby platform for better object-oriented programming
> done in Ruby OOD? Why even do we need Java embedded into Ruby? I love
> the Java language, but as a passionate programmer who has created a few
> Ruby programs alone, this almost angers me a bit. I think Ruby is great
> the way it is and does not need to be merged with Java is my point.

This explains some of the advantages:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AlternateHardAndSoftLayers

What JRuby provides access to is not Java per se, but the JVM
ecosystem, which is very well worth having. Read through some of the
Clojure documentation too - Rich Hickey talks about why he implemented
his language atop the JVM. You can write JRuby in a pure ruby style,
using only the libraries from Java.

martin