On Dec 4, 10:08=A0am, "Tim Pease" <tim.pe... / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Trans <transf... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
> > very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
> > users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
> > they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
> > to their users.
>
> Found this blog post from May of this year ....http://mentalized.net/jour=
nal/2008/05/27/stikipad_when_software_in_th...

> and one from June ...http://ferociouspixie.blogspot.com/2008/06/stikipad-=
is-lame-duck-comp...

> Magic 8 Ball says "outlook not so good"
>
> > I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
> > only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
> > be a lesson to you!)
>
> Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
> in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
> of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
> you choose. Just a thought
>
> > Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
> > of salvaging my lost work?
>
> Magic 8 Ball says "no".
>
> > Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
> > they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
> > bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
> > thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
> > up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
> > nothing, right?) and restarting the service.
>
> Sounds like they were not responding to their customers. Business is
> not going to work with that kind of attitude.

Thanks Tim. Apparently a one Johnathon George is responsible (DNS
register). His twitter page is: http://twitter.com/jdg. I love this
tweet:

  "Man, I've messed up a lot over the last few years. 2:08 AM Nov 26th
from web"

Why is this guy just ignoring everyone? You'd think he at least make
the data temporarily available so people could download their stuff.
Or did he accidentally delete it all and doesn't want to own up to it?
That's all I can think of. Just the same, I'm a very forgiving person.
Lord knows I have my share of f*ups, but to just totally abandon so
many people without so much as a word? I'm sorry, but this guy, and
whomever else is responsible, should be sued.

T.