On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Trans <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
> very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
> users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
> they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
> to their users.

Found this blog post from May of this year ....
http://mentalized.net/journal/2008/05/27/stikipad_when_software_in_the_cloud_goes_sour/

and one from June ...
http://ferociouspixie.blogspot.com/2008/06/stikipad-is-lame-duck-company.html

Magic 8 Ball says "outlook not so good"

> I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
> only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
> be a lesson to you!)

Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
you choose. Just a thought

> Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
> of salvaging my lost work?

Magic 8 Ball says "no".

> Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
> they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
> bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
> thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
> up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
> nothing, right?) and restarting the service.

Sounds like they were not responding to their customers. Business is
not going to work with that kind of attitude.

Blessings,
TwP