Hi John,

Just a friendly suggestion, but this and your previous query about
blocks make me wonder if you shouldn't be using a functional language?
Ruby has very convenient functional syntax but doesn't (at least not
to my knowledge) do the same sorts of optimizations that more purely
functional languages will do.

The other option (as I'm watching PragDave's RubyConf talk on 1.9) is
to use Fibers. Watch the bit of his talk on Fibers at http://rubyconf2008.confreaks.com/ruby-19-what-to-expect.html
  starting about 18 min in.

Cheers,

Josh