Mmcolli00 Mom wrote:
> yes I meant to read it into an Hash. Can you give me a snippet?

I don't know how exactly you want to split the line into key and value.
There are three columns there.

> I just can't see it.
>
> file = File.open("logzT09.txt")
> rows = []
> file.each_line do |line|
> rows << line.split(" ")[2]
> end
> p rows
>
> I know this is an array so it will not work.

rows = {}          # will create a hash instead of array
key, val = line.chomp.split(" ",2)
rows[key] = val    # will add a value to the hash

This would split as ["00834", "tue z0sdf"]

You should end up with:

{
 "00834" => "tue z0sdf",
 "01230" => "wed z0sdf",
  ... etc
}

> I want to be able to say...if first row's data = '00834' then set a new
> variable in another script of what data is availabe in that same row
> '00834' following that number element.

Sorry, I'm unable to understand that sentence.

When this script runs, it cannot directly affect the behaviour of
another script. That would be a separate Ruby process with its own
workspace. (Unless you're doing something fancy like DRb for
inter-process communication, or writing data via a file or a pipe)

However, later on in *this* script you can make use of the hash you've
created.

  p rows["01230"]  # will print "wed z0sdf"