On 1/23/02 8:05 AM, "James Britt (rubydev)" <james / rubyxml.com> wrote:

> But they *are* evil!  Anyway, such phrasing helps provoke people into
> reconsidering what may be unchallenged assumptions.

I'm actually starting to question that. (And I hate myself for it). When I
encountered ObjC's key-value coding, I was sure it was evil and I preached
jeremiads on the eminent destruction of the language and all its works.
Funny though, the gods have withheld their wrath. I not only use programs
that rely on this abomination, it has started to creep into my own code.

I feel the same way about ruby's attr_accessor and its demon siblings.

Is it possible that encapsulation is like training wheels? That after awhile
you don't need it to protect yourself. Very few newbies are writing Ruby or
ObjC. I guess time will tell.
--

Conversation, n. A fair for the display of the minor mental commodities,
each exhibitor being too intent upon the arrangement of his own wares to