David Dennis wrote:
> Robert Dober wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Ben Johnson <bjohnson / binarylogic.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Ever since I updated my gems I have been getting the following error any
>>> time I want to use sqlite in ruby:
>>>
>>> no such file to load -- sqlite3 (MissingSourceFile)
>> Did you do the threaded
>> require 'rubygems'
>> R.
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you explain this more?  I have seen this error reported over and
> over throughout the internet but no concise explanation is to be found.
>
> Suggestions are:
>
> 1) gem install sqlite3-ruby
>
> but then I get this error:
>
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing sqlite3-ruby:
>         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
> checking for fdatasync() in -lrt... yes
> checking for sqlite3.h... no
>
> make
> make: *** No rule to make target `ruby.h', needed by
> `sqlite3_api_wrap.o'.  Stop.
>

> Gem files will remain installed in
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4 for inspection.
> Results logged to
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_api/gem_make.out
>
> 2) sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby
>
> But unfortunately I don't have admin access to my dedicated server
>
> The binary works correctly which is the most annoying part.  When I type
> 'sqlite3' I get a prompt for playing with the database.  I also get the
> same "no such file to load -- sqlite3" when I run the first "db:create"
> after creating a demo app.
>
> sqlite3 works with rails on my local windows PC.  I don't understand why
> it's so impossible on the linux box.
>
> Thanks, David.

It is not impossible but it is unfortunate litle more complicated. With
windows you already get compiled binary needed for sqlite3-ruby to work.

With Linux binary has to be compiled for your distribution and here it
is almost essential that you have admin rights.

I guess you are on Ubuntu. So you need to:
sudo apt-get install build-essential ruby1.8-dev libsqlite3-dev

First one is compiler environment
Second are ruby headers needed to compile addons with ruby
Third are sqlite3 headers

by
TheR