Robert Dober wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Ben Johnson <bjohnson / binarylogic.com>
> wrote:
>> Ever since I updated my gems I have been getting the following error any
>> time I want to use sqlite in ruby:
>>
>> no such file to load -- sqlite3 (MissingSourceFile)
> Did you do the threaded
> require 'rubygems'
> R.

Hi,

Could you explain this more?  I have seen this error reported over and
over throughout the internet but no concise explanation is to be found.

Suggestions are:

1) gem install sqlite3-ruby

but then I get this error:

ERROR:  Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
checking for fdatasync() in -lrt... yes
checking for sqlite3.h... no

make
make: *** No rule to make target `ruby.h', needed by
`sqlite3_api_wrap.o'.  Stop.

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_api/gem_make.out

2) sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

But unfortunately I don't have admin access to my dedicated server

The binary works correctly which is the most annoying part.  When I type
'sqlite3' I get a prompt for playing with the database.  I also get the
same "no such file to load -- sqlite3" when I run the first "db:create"
after creating a demo app.

sqlite3 works with rails on my local windows PC.  I don't understand why
it's so impossible on the linux box.

Thanks, David.