Cheryl Cepak wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am a C++ person but trying to help a friend using Ruby.
> He is supposed to ask for user input by using an index number to change
> the letter of a word given, like say "dog".  So the user it asked to
> enter the index number, lets say 0 is entered by the user, and he then
> asks the user to put a new letter in (letter is a variable), then he
> wants to change the index of 0 which is the "D" to a "C" (where c was
> put in by the user).
>
> Can anyone help with this?  How to do it please?
>
> Cheryl

Here is what he has so far:

student_name  = 'John Wallace'
puts student_name + "'s WordWarp Game!"
require 'zlib'
dictionary = Zlib::GzipReader.open('words3-8.gz').read().split()
current_word = 'dog'
target_word   = 'cat'

puts
puts current_word.to_s + ' => ' + target_word.to_s

puts 'What is the index of the letter you wish to change?'
index = gets
puts 'What letter do you wish to insert?'
letter = gets
temp_word = current_word.clone()

puts temp_word