On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Mmcolli00 Mom <mmc_collins / yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Just a question about regualar expression in Ruby. Is there a way to
> check in each line of a document for always beginning with "23430000"
> and somewhere on that same line another string 'CodeRed'?
>
> line1: 23430000 @#$#$3455000CodeRed 24AAWERE 740000000
>
> This is what I have so far when I import each textdata from another
> file.
>

> textdata.should =~ /23430000/ |CodeRed/
>
> ...the pipe was supposed to determine if CodeRed exists somewhere after
> the identity code 23430000. However, it doesn't work like this. Also for
> my code I am not using OR logic with it.
> --

I just wanted to mention another way of combining regexes that may
help you stay sane: union.

#You write each regex nice and simple like..
startswith=/~23430000/
codered=/CodeRed/

#Then combine them to a complex one
combined_regex=Regexp.union(startswith,codered)

When you've got to build up some large regular expressions, this can
be a godsend, especially when revisiting code you haven't looked at in
awhile.

--Kyle