Hi!
On 01.12.2008, at 07:54, rocksonchan wrote:

> i was trying to do the "hello world!" on my mac (v10.4 with ruby
> 1.8.2) in text editor,
> but i could not save it with a .rb extension.

If you use TextEdit then you should change the preferences so that
you use plaintext format instead of the Rich/RTF format (default?).

Also you can try google and test some other text editors. There are
really plenty of it.

> can someone please point out what i did wrong ?

I think there's some osx magic stuff that change the suffix of your
file to .txt or .rtf. Try to change the finder.app settings and you
will see it.

> p.s. is there any simple free editor program  for beginner that will
> help me to learn ruby better?

No Texteditor will ever help you to learn a language.

hth, Sandor Szs