Math/stats libraries still seem to need a bit of work compared to
other Ruby libraries.   The most comprehensive one I've used is
RubyGSL.  However, it isn't easy to install/manage, has external
dependencies, and doesn't work with all versions of Ruby.  I created
a patch so it could work with 1.9, but I don't know that the patch
has been included yet.   Also, the GSL isn't as friendly as Ruby's
depending on what you want it for.

NArray doesn't have many math or stats functions, but it's easy to
install, manage, and try.  It would be nice if there was a simple
dependency free gem that has all of what you want that just works out  f the box.  If there is one it isn't heavily advertised.  It feels a  it like Python is today's FORTRAN in that you're almost forced to
use it because of its math libraries rather than because it's the
right language choice for you.   Hopefully progress will continue and  here will be more freedom of choice.

joe