Philip,

thank you for your suggestion.
Up to today I have created my SVGs out of a data xml by xslt/xpath
2.0. But this was not interactive, as displaying the result took a
renderer.
If I understand your idea right, I could use Inkscape to create all
the shape objects out of my Ruby program.
Does the binding also handle mouse events (e.g. created by mouseup/
down) on an Inksacpe SVG object ?