RolfK wrote:

> I'm an absolutely beginner to Ruby.
> But, besides the language itself (which seems quite interesting to
> me ) it is importnat  to find out what support is available for XML
> and in particular for SVG. I served a bit around "Ruby SVG" and my
> impression is that there is maybe no active development.
>
> I have to create a lot of technical drawings and charts.
> Another point is the renderer and may be in addition an interactive
> canvas.
>
> Can anybody feedback some comment on this.

libxml-ruby is going to handle SVG fine - but low level, without awareness of
all the nodes' meanings.

You need to think first of a high-level editor that is already written.
Inkscape, for example, is open-source, and has Ruby bindings. So, IIRC, does
Google Sketchup.

Then write unit tests for everything you do. I would use XPath in those tests to
spot-check the SVG contents...

--
   Phlip