On 20.11.2008 17:15, Michael Tomer wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> On 18.11.2008 23:56, David Spitzer wrote:
>> puts "I think #{number.to_i + 1} may be a better favorite number
>> though..."
>
> I think you can skip the .to_i when the number is inside #{}.

No.  Whether you can skip to_i solely depends on the type of "number".
Btw, you can easily test that (see below).

> In other
> words, I think it would be valid and a little more readable to say:
>
> puts "I think #{number + 1} may be a better favorite number though..."

irb(main):001:0> "1"+2
TypeError: can't convert Fixnum into String
         from (irb):1:in `+'
         from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

This has nothing to do where the expression appears.  IIRC number is a
String here so you must convert it to do integer math.

Cheers

	robert