From: Mike Austin [mailto:"mike[nospam]"@mike-austin.com]
..
# $stdout << "I think " << number + 1 << " may be a better favorite\n"
# It's much cleaner, although not as simple a concept as print.

well you can extend ruby to your liking,

> def prints *list
>   list.each do |item|
*     $stdout << item
>   end
> end
=> nil

> prints "I think ", number + 1, " may be a better favorite\n"   I think 2 may be a better favorite
=> ["I think ", 2, " may be a better favorite\n"]

w the added adv that you get an array (of listing) too, ergo, the ff works, too