Sean Russell wrote:

> ShareWare was a direct
> attempt for developers to make some sort of profit; there wasn't the
> critical mass, as there is in the Linux community, where you can afford to
> develop free software because you don't have to pay for most of the
> software you use.

> As pertains to Ruby, we're lucky that it originated in the Gift culture.
> Windows users can be thankful that I'm a Linux user, because REXML is free,
> and OpenSource.  It wouldn't be, otherwise; I wouldn't be able to afford a
> Windows habit, writing free software.

I see your point, but I think it's more than possible to write free
software on Windows.

There's also enough free software available (not all fre software comes
from Linux), so it's not as if my Win software setup costs so much that
I have to charge for everything I do.

M$ sucks, but there's a giving culture between Win users too. (most Win
users use Win *although* it's by M$; why then? ease of use, specific Win
only apps, etc.)
I'm doing a lot for free, and I'm gettig a lot back. And I don't care if
  the partners are on Win, Lin, etc.

I'm running a dual boot. I'm very happy about each and every step in
directions that narrow the gaps between the two+ worlds: Ruby runs on
any major OS, so Ruby itself has this attitude.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/