--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 05:42:18AM +0900, Tim Hunter wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >  2. Is there a way to do what I actually need -- specifically, to
> >  iterate over an entire file *except* the first line, only reading one
> >  line at a time into RAM -- without writing a C extension for Ruby?
>
> Why not iterate over the entire file and just ignore the first line?
> IO#readline or IO#gets will get you a line at a time.

How do you propose I "ignore" the first line?  That's what I was trying
to do -- by starting the iteration over lines in the file with the second
line.  Are you saying I should just have an orphan gets line in the code,
then have a block in which I use gets each line until I run out of file?
I guess that would probably work, but seems kinda . . . ugly.  I just
need to figure out an efficient way to calculate the number of lines in
the file (minus one) now so I can use that number to control the number
of iterations.

I really hope you aren't suggesting I have a conditional in every single
iteration, going through all the lines in the file, to test whether it's
the first line so the first line can be ignored.

. . . and why is there a lineno and a lineno= if lineno= doesn't actually
do anything other than prompt you for a useless number?  I still don't
understand that.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Baltasar Gracian: "A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS