On Nov 15, 1:36    䮮
> On Nov 14, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
>

> > Plans for 1.9 are contemplated but not for the current One-Click
> > codebase. Bundling everything makes difficult differentiate ruby from
> > the packages that need to be tested for compatibility.
>
> What should I recommend to PickAxe readers? I'm planning to ship the > book when 1.9.1 is stable, and I'd like to give them good advice.

As you may know One-Click bundles almost the world in Rubyland. Some
of the things bundled has not been updated (by the project developers)
since 2006 and are still bundled "for compatibility with previous
releases".

Doing a release for 1.9 series requires review of all those packages,
some not being updated for 1.9 and others that lacks complete set of
testing setup that can ease the process of review.

The work on RubyInstaller (Ruby+RubyGems) based on MinGW is about to
cover both 1.8 and 1.9. Since it will not be shipped with any other
gem or extension, is under user control to be able to download these
for 1.9.

The binaries from garbagecollect for 1.9 can be easily used just
adding the missing dlls for some of the extensions (like openssl or
zlib). Yet still it depends on VC6 and some of the gems, extensions
and libraries from current Installer will not work.

I guess lot of people will complain about this, but is the healthy
option at this time (I'm open to suggestions, of course).

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena